This is a challenge that many of my clients have posed to me. They do quite well on their healthy diet, till it’s tme to travel and with the airline and restaurant food, their best laid plans go astray. Has this ever happened to you?
Below are my tips for eating healthy when travelling.
1. Carry a healthy snack with you. I hate airline food. It’s stale and usually greasy or out of a packet so I soak some oats, add in some nuts or seeds and raisins or chopped dates for sweetening and carry it in a disposable lunch box. I also carry fruit and small packets of nuts and raisins for a quick snack.
2. Fruits are available everywhere. One good thing about fruits is that they are “Nature’s Fast Food”. As soon as you embark into a new city, if you look out, you will see fruit vendors. I usually pick some fruit and when I am not meeting business colleagues say for breakfast or dinner, I make a meal out of the fruits. This helps especially as the other meals can tend to be heavy.
3. Request the waiter or chef for something healthy. I have done it on numerous occasions. I have often requested the waiter to ask the chef to use less oil or saute vegetables in just soy sauce instead of oil. You can also ask to skip cheese on a pizza or sandwich or just a side of lightly sauted vegetables or a huge salad and an oil-free dressing. You can ask for daal with roasted “tadka” or steamed rice instead of fried. I have seldom been refused. After all you are paying for the meal, so go ahead and ask but do it politely and nicely!
If you found this useful, please visit www.nandinigulati.com and also look out for an event entitled Reinvent-Life on August 22nd at Westin Gurgaon where I would be speaking about health.
Latest posts by Nandini (see all)
- How not to put on weight during the festive season - October 21, 2015
- Inculcate An Attitude Of Gratitude - August 12, 2015
- How To Eat Healthy While Travelling - August 5, 2015