At our weekly Gurgaon Organic Farmer’s Market, we had a healthy vegan potluck. My old school friend, Mohita Singh came with her parents. Mrs. Singh makes the most delicious food and I have had the pleasure of eating it for years. When she learnt that I had become vegan, she put out the most amazing spread for me last year.
I was delighted to see them at the potluck. Everyone remarked at her amazing cabbage salad made with a little help from her husband who is a remarkable cook himself and a gifted artist. The salad was unanimously voted as the best dish and won first prize at our potluck.
On that day, the salad got polished off before I could take a photo so I took the recipe from her and remade it. Mrs. Singh’s personal touch was missing but it was still delicious. It is my pleasure to share it here with you!
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cranberries, blackcurrants or raisins
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp jaggery
- Optional – Chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of heeng or asafoetida
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Finely and thinly shred the cabbage or just grate it
- Mix all the ingredients except tempering
- In a hot pan roast the mustard seeds (without oil) till they start popping
- Add the curry leaves and allow all the seeds to pop
- Switch off gas and immediately add the heeng to roast (but not burn)
Enjoy this light and nourishing treat!
Latest posts by Nandini (see all)
- How not to put on weight during the festive season - October 21, 2015
- Inculcate An Attitude Of Gratitude - August 12, 2015
- How To Eat Healthy While Travelling - August 5, 2015